2. Traducción

Once the content of the documentary was written down, it was not that difficult to understand. Also the fact that I had spent so much time listening meant that subconsciously a lot of the translation had already been done. However, understanding the content is only half the battle in translation, it is important to keep in mind who you are translating for and make the text accessible to them. The idea of functionalism in translation is that the target text should be produced according to its purpose (Vermeer in Nord 2009). It was advised that we create a persona, which would encourage us to keep focused on the implied ‘user’, or in this case, viewer of the text (Nielsen, 2018). 

link to persona –http://clandestinas.hs3004.com/?page_id=128

My persona encompasses a broader audience than just herself, as she intends to share the documentary. The target audience are both people with previous knowledge of the subject and without, so it has an informative function. However my primary aim when translating was to allow these women’s voices to be heard, and even spread support for their cause, so it would also have a vocative function.

Translating from spoken word to written text caused some problems. It becomes nearly impossible to translate word-for-word, due to the abundance of ‘filler words’ and the false starts. To carry all these into the English could make the text confusing. I tried to preserve the flow of the spoken as much as possible when I was writing in English, for example including some English filler words, like ‘you know’ and ‘well’. However translation loss is inevitable, and especially so when you are going from one medium to another. Expressive silences, hand gestures, and some particular vocal tics cannot be expressed in text. I hoped that by creating a subtitles version of the documentary, this would be compensated for.

The context of the documentary meant that there were some terms that would not be broadly known. I wanted to preserve the style of the original as much as possible, so instead of adding appendixes and explanations within the text, I created a separate glossary in a “documentary style” translation fashion.

link to glossary:http://clandestinas.hs3004.com/text/glossary/

Another issue was length, there are over 3,000 words in this dialogue. I considered cutting it down, but it became impossible to decide how. I approached this translation in an activist sense, as my view was to spread information and share their stories, which have a political function of their own. Each scene and each piece of dialogue was included for reason, and I felt I couldn’t decide on the maker’s behalf which parts were more important than others, so in the end, I kept it all in.

The most important resource I used throughout was Google. WordReference and other online dictionaries were very useful, but the majority of the time I was using the internet was to see how phrases were usually worded in English.